Featured post

PAM ROYDS 1924 - 2016

Pam Royds on Grasmere , 1971 with Sally Christie, children’s author and daughter of Philippa Pearce. I was just twenty two when I fir...

About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
My blog is about writing and illustrating children's books which I have been doing since 1974. www.gillianmcclure.com has all my books. I also have another blog: www.paulcoltman.blogspot.com where I publish my father's poems.

Saturday 1 May 2010

PICTURE BOOKS FOR OLDER CHILDREN

In his post on the London Book Fair, John Shelley gives an interesting interpretation of UK children's picture book publishing, saying that unlike other European countries it has 'been downgraded and closely bracketed as only for kids'.  I was also pleased to hear that Anthony Browne was championing picture books for older children and adult collectors in the Big Picture seminar at the fair.  

I've had great difficulty in getting UK publishers to take my own picture books for older children over the last few years. My frustration at not being able to proceed with any book and complete it, led me to set up the Plaister Press - (see the posting Plaister Press on 16.4.2010).  
   
Working with typographer, Lisa Kirkham, I plan to publish my own high quality picture books under this imprint and sell to a niche market which, if it isn't already lurking out there already, I believe will return  in reaction to, and as an alternative to, the mass market.

No comments:

Post a Comment