Featured post

PAM ROYDS 1924 - 2016

Pam Royds on Grasmere , 1971 with Sally Christie, children’s author and daughter of Philippa Pearce. I was just twenty two when I fir...

About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
My blog is about writing and illustrating children's books which I have been doing since 1974. www.gillianmcclure.com has all my books. I also have another blog: www.paulcoltman.blogspot.com where I publish my father's poems.

Saturday 10 September 2011

BOTH PERHAPS PRESENT


Last Thursday was the fifth Pearce Memorial Lecture held in Cambridge. Philip Pullman gave an great talk, entitled Both Perhaps Present (TS Eliot’s Four Quartets – Burnt Norton). He explored the classical tone of narration in Philippa Pearce’s Tom’s Midnight Garden, the character of the narrator and the different points of view as well as talking about the present tense narration popular in contemporary novels and the oral tone of voice in fairy tales. You can watch the video: Both Perhaps Present
He’s pictured here with Philippa’s daughter Sally and grandson Nat.

The photographer was Jill Paton Walsh.
After the lecture there was a wine reception. This lecture series is excellent value as it's free. Next year Malorie Blackman will be the speaker and the year after, Kevin Crossley-Holland. Pearce Lecture

No comments:

Post a Comment