Featured post

PAM ROYDS 1924 - 2016

Pam Royds on Grasmere , 1971 with Sally Christie, children’s author and daughter of Philippa Pearce. I was just twenty two when I fir...

About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
My blog is about writing and illustrating children's books which I have been doing since 1974. www.gillianmcclure.com has all my books. I also have another blog: www.paulcoltman.blogspot.com where I publish my father's poems.

Saturday 13 October 2012

LITERARY LUNCH

What could be nicer than a literary lunch on a glorious October day at a beautiful location in Grantchester: 
 … “would I were
In Grantchester, in Grantchester!”
-except for an unseen menace, 
“[ in] the lovely hamlet Grantchester”.  
- a dog who smelt a pudding in a bag and got to it before being spotted. 
 
Here are Adele Geras, Anne Roony and Pippa Goodhart inspecting lick marks on the pudding.

 
Here they are again deciding the unlicked parts could still be eaten...

And so, with the dog (whose name was Winnie,) banished out of earshot, out of sight, lunch was restored.
“… Grantchester! Ah Grantchester!
There’s peace and holy quiet there…”

 and

“Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea?”

 
Quotes from 'The Old Vicarage, Grantchester' by Rupert Brooke 1912

2 comments:

  1. Wasn 't it a lovely lunch? I did enjoy meeting you, Gillian and reading this post brings back memories of a really sunny, warm day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a lovely occasion and so nice to have both you and Pippa in Cambridge.

    ReplyDelete