Featured post

PAM ROYDS 1924 - 2016

Pam Royds on Grasmere , 1971 with Sally Christie, children’s author and daughter of Philippa Pearce. I was just twenty two when I fir...

About Me

My photo
United Kingdom
My blog is about writing and illustrating children's books which I have been doing since 1974. www.gillianmcclure.com has all my books. I also have another blog: www.paulcoltman.blogspot.com where I publish my father's poems.

Thursday 6 January 2011

SNOWY SETTINGS

The great thing about snowy settings is being able to make use of the white page. Here's a spread from Tom Finger; my own very white book.


An old favourite with a snowy setting is Ernest and Celestine, written and illustrated by Gabrielle Vincent and published in the UK by Julia MacRae Books in 1982 - again the white page is an important part of the design (though a little pink in this reproduction).


Whenever I see dark twigs set against a sunset while out on a winter walk, I'm reminded of The Winter Bear-

another magical story with a snowy setting; written by Ruth Craft, illustrated by EricK Blegvad and published in 1974 by William Collins.

Finally, a Scandinavian setting for The Fox and the Tomten, written by Astrid Lindgren,illustrated by Harald Wiberg and published in the UK in 1970 by Longman Young Books. 

 
I love this frame of the fox in the snow seen from the hens' view point.
So, instead of moaning about the snow and all the chaos it brings,now the UK is having colder winters, we should curl up in a chair in front of a warm fire and enjoy the magic of a snowy setting on a white page.


No comments:

Post a Comment